Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Back to the real world

In case anyone didn't realise, my Nana died, so I went back to England for the funeral, hence the lack of posts (or rather, the lack of desire to create posts, as I did have the computer with me). Anyway, it was a good service, and we had the compulsory post funeral trip to the pub with the family etc. It went as well as these things can.

It also meant we got stuck in the BA strike thing - flight out got cancelled, which caused a lot of stress for a day or two, but finally got out (without food) and arrived the day before the funeral. Only sandwiches on the way back as well (I think they're back to hot meals now) but BA staff were pretty exceptional as usual despite the position they were put in. They also kindly dumped 50,000 miles into my account without telling me - i presume as some sort of compensation for all of the hassle - which was a pretty nice thing to do, especially as I never quite get status on BA. Somehow trying to imagine United doing that doesn't quite work, despite the fact I hit status with them pretty much every year.

Anyway, life is getting back to normal (which means travel again), but got the very first company bar-b-q to look forward to this year. It's kindly been organized about 100 yards from my front door, which means staggering home after finishing off the keg shouldn't be too difficult (he says ominously...).