Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Over before it begins

So a ball (or player) hasn't been kicked in anger in the Premiership season yet, and already Newcastle have blown it. A spectacular loss in the Interto(n)to Cup today (2-1, 4-2 on aggregate) means the boys in black and white won't be playing in Europe for the rest of the season. Unlucky, but hardly surprising.

What this also probably means it that without the extra cash from Europe, and without the incentive of European Football, our chances of signing Michael Owen from Real Madrid just disappeared (if they existed in the first place).

Now I know I might sound like a pessimist, but given that I've been following the team for the last 34 years, and they still haven't won anything in that time, I'm turning into the grumpy old men I used to stand in front of (and make fun of) in the Gallowgate end.

And can someone please tell me why we sold Aaron Hughes?