Friday, September 09, 2005

Small Cars coming to the US


The recent surge in gas (petrol) prices over here does have some benefits (apart from getting a couple of the hideously large SUV's and trucks off the road). Toyota and Honda have both announced that they're going to start bringing into the country their baby cars. Rumours (again...) of the Smart car being officially imported have began.

My brother just recently got himself a nice new ride - the VW Polo GTi - small, fast and very nice in the handling department. The interior dashboard lighting even gloes blue like it's big brothers (which would make the wifes day). I have never really understood why cars like this hadn't made it here before, especially given how theoretically cheap they would be in dollar money.

So my one wish as part of all this - bring across the Renault Clio 182 Cup (or whatever they call it with the Blistein suspension). I know, never going to happen, but if the normal (almost) pound to dollar for the same car applies, I could get one of these for the winter with some decent snow tires, and a nice new Elise for the rest of the year when it's nice and sunny. Neither would be quite as quick as my current STi, but probably put a couple of more smiles per mile on my face with their increased level of involvement. Plus, I could put the back seats down in the Clio, and have the perfect Home Depot pickup car available whenever I need it.

Given this isn't going to happen, I'm still holding onto the Porsche dream - a 911 C4s - which, in my own head, is the perfect Colorado car (as long as you get a set of thinner wheels for winter that can take the snow tires it would need). Now does anyone know the winning numbers for tomorrows Powerball?