Thursday, October 06, 2005

Vegas is a great place!

No real reason for this post, except that I'm heading out there with Heidi in a couple of weeks time. I never really win any money (my birthday last year was as close as I came to coming back from the trip actually in profit - I broke even). I have a couple of theories about this - the main one being that I have recently been relying on playing slots the majority of the time, instead of at the tables. I had a brief encounter with craps at the bachelor party (I still don't understand what I'm meant to do, and have cold sweats when I'm expected to throw those dice without hitting the waitress 300 yards away...), and I used to primarily play blackjack. But slots is easy and fun, and it can pay off big time if you hit a lucky streak. But that's just the thing, there's no skill involved, so you can quickly lose a decent chunk of money in no time at all.

The plan for this time is to see if I can get myself into a No Limit Texas Hold'em game. Not that I expect to win or anything, but the on-line playing has been coming along quite nicely, and I seem to be at a point where I understand what wins and what doesn't, and how to steal the occasional pot. It'll be nice to see if I can at least not get knocked out first, and see what happens. And the other advantage is, if I get into a cheap $20 tournament, I could make that 20 bucks last (with hopefully free drinks) for a decent hour or two. Definitely beats the $20 every 5 minutes when you're losing on Wheel of Fortune slots...