Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Momentary Excitement, Followed by Disappointment

(No George, this is not a commentary on your lovelife.....)

And all because of one of my favourite website, Jalopnik.

It all started with the increased gas prices, which resulted in a flood of announcements about small cars invading the land of the big cruisers, and a chance I'd get a choice of something small, cheap and sporty to drive as my winter car (and let me get an Elise or Caterham for the summer).

Anyway, it was further fuelled this morning with the following quote
It’s good news for Americans, who will see the Clio appear next year in the form of its platform-mate Nissan Versa economy hatchback.
Of course, Clio and America in the same sentence has me running down the street looking for the most likely garage to start stocking the V6 or Clio Cup 182. And then I finished the sentence, and was immediately disappointed. Although they may be pretty much the same cars underneath, Nissan hasn't exactly been gracing the showrooms with decent high performance derivatives of their normal cars (I love the 350Z, so don't start screaming and shouting brothers) since the Sunny GTI-R back in the old days (it must have been old, coz it was meant to semi-compete with one of my favourite cars of all time, the Lancia Delta Integrale, and I was just a wee boy when that thing came out).

Anyway, back to the drawing board (Focus SVT with supercharger anyone?).