Sunday, November 13, 2005

New Dishwasher

So a wise teacher back at John Spence once told me that once you get past a certain age, you end up spending all your savings on stuff you would never dream of buying when you're 16. Take yesterday for example - I made a trip to Best Buy (the Holy Grail of gadgets around here), and look what I came away with - a dishwasher!!!

Now this was a necessary purchase, and I'm not complaining - the old one started throwing bubbles and water all over the kitchen last week (and in typical fashion I was away with work, so the wife had to deal with it on her own - sorry baby), and after one day of hand washing, I realized it was a necessity. All those memories of spending most of Sunday afternoon in the kitchen fighting with brothers and sister over who washes and who dries the dishes came flooding back. So, back to Best Buy - never having bought a dishwasher before made the choice mostly based on looks. Stainless steel was therefore a necessity, and as long as it had that, I was happy. We hit lucky and the one we wanted was in stock as an open box item, saving us $200 bucks, and making it cheaper than The Great Indoors, even after the 5 year warranty was purchased (and if one more Best Buy sales person tells me they're not on commission for selling that stuff, I'm going to take them outside and let them talk to the front end of my shoes in rapid succession).

But the point was, I've often dreamed of just wandering into Best Buy and dropping a grand on stuff that hadn't been planned or saved for in advance. I just never expected it to be on something that didn't play games, music or tv programs. Now, if I can work out how to connect this thing to my homenetwork, and automatically get it to pack and unpack itself based on how tall the pile of dirty dishes were on the bench, we'd be talking.