Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Is Alfa Romeo Working on a New Alfasud? - Jalopnik

When I was a young boy, this thing was my dream car. Not for the usual reasons of it being able to do 0-60 in 5 seconds, or invoke images of winning my first Formula One Grand Prix at Monaco.

Nope, it was three reasons - it was Italian, it was faster than most of the other cars that seemed within my grasp, and of course, one of the most driving factors when you've just turned 17, it was damn cheap. So cheap in fact, I even got as far as going to look at one up in Cramlington with my Dad and Grandad. It was obviously a work in progress - he wanted 300 quid for it if my memory serves me right, but head over-ruled heart (well, the older bretheren among our party over-ruled me) and the usual Italian holes all over the bodywork meant it could just crumble into little pieces in the driveway at any second.

I was lucky as well - I went home, and rang around a few insurance companies to see what the insurance would have been for me - car worth 300 quid, 3rd party fire and theft insurance, 1200 quid - what a bargain. It never stoppped me checking out the adverts in the Chronicle though - there always seemed to be plenty of these things for sale, compared to the number of them on the road (maybe that should have told me something). And the heart strings never stopped pulling - I even took my trusty AX GT (the only car to officially be made from paper mache) to an Alfa garage to be serviced - how's that for pretending.

Anyway, if they build a new one (and obviously the dependency on Alfa starting to send things the American way again), I might just have to buy one for old times sake. I hope they've worked out how to stop the wings disappearing in a cloud of rust....

Is Alfa Romeo Working on a New Alfasud? - Jalopnik