Monday, December 05, 2005

Run over the cell phone!


So cell phones have taken up a large part of my life these last couple of weeks - we've had to pick new ones with our move away from the dreaded Sprint Vader, to the good side of the force (hopefully anyway) Princess Cingular.

Now obviously I would like to able to afford one of these gorgeous Vertu phones, but as I'm not an international superstar, or self made millionaire (yet), it's a little out of my reach (6 grand I think I read). However, that doesn't mean I can't lust after one, especially now that they've independently tested the indestructibleness (is that even a word???) of it. The claim from Vertu when they released their special edition Ascent Motorsport version was that because of all the special materials they used to make it, you could drive over it in the Porsche F1 car they used for the ad and it would survive. Luckily for us, the New York Times had a few bucks lying around to test this (although they used a Boxster as it was a little easier to come by). It turns out the claims weren't over-rated in the slightest - after running it over 5 times, the phone not only survived, it didn't even have a scratch on it! Now that's impressive!

The Vertu Porsche Boxster Test - Gizmodo