Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Firefox Shocker!!!!

I have a theory that my computer is dying, slowly, but surely. I had a couple of problems logging in and Windows picking up my profile a few weeks ago. It seemed to sort itself out after a quick CHKDSK /f on the hard-drive, but now the problems seem to be resurfacing.

Last night, we had the dreaded blue screen, followed by a full memory dump. Everything seemed to restart this morning, but then when I went to use Firefox, all my bookmarks had disappeared. Having had this problem once before, I've been saving all of my bookmarks into a file just in case. So I reloaded, and hoped everything would be good. Nope - random weird stuff was still happening, including having no search engines associated with my little search box at the top. Next stop was a full remove and re-install of Firefox, and still the same. I'm going to have to mess about and see if I can get something to work - it's driving me crazy (I even had to link to the Google homepage on my toolbar buttons - what a waste of space).

Maybe this is all just pointing to the fact that I need a new computer. Being a work one, it has to run Windows (anyone ever tried developing .Net apps on another operating system, or, as is more the case these days, running MS Project and Project Server? I didn't think so). So, all I need is for some nice people to get their hands on one of the new apple MacBook Pros I was talking about earlier, and getting it to dual boot XP and OS X - now that would make me a happy camper indeed...