Saturday, February 25, 2006

Big (TV) Weekend

So after spending the majority of the last 24 hours inside one electronics store or another, I finally made the purchase. It wasn't exactly how I planned (now there's a surprise), so I ended up without a plasma, and with another surround sound solution (not a full system).

Final damage was a little over what I had budgeted (another surprise, eh?) but I think the whole thing will rock. I got the Sony Bravia LCD, and the Yamaha Sound Wall thing (real surround sound from a single bank of speakers mounted on the wall (or in front of the tv). I never believed in this sort of stuff, not even the Bose system they had - I've always gone for the amp and 5 speaker approach. However, I listened to this in the store (shop) and it actually works - not trusting my own ears, I checked out the CNET review, and they are believers too.

So, a surround sound that I didn't plan on, an LCD instead of a plasma, and then the pyriad of cables and a new Harmony remote control to keep everything under control, and the budget was blown. Still, possibly the best purchase of today was the proper install. Consultation is tomorrow, but we're getting everything hung up on the wall, and all the cables routed behind the walls - it's going to be cool.

I also managed to catch up on some clothes purchases - I've avoided any of these for a long time now, but made up for it this weekend. I hit a couple of sales, a couple of discount racks and ended up with a new wardrobe. Pride of place was the Armani jacket, which I nearly didn't get, but the wife persuaded me, and I'm glad I did it now. Also a couple of shirts for work, and a couple for going out - I just have to make sure I go out to take advantage of them...