Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Current Car Thoughts

Hopefully I'll be sorting out the payment for the car that is no more by the end of the week (well, next week in reality), so the search is heating up. I even rang up the insurance company today to run a couple of cars past them to see how bad the damage was going to be (S4 - same price as my STi, Golf GTi - 15 bucks less, M3 - only 12 bucks more a month). I was expecting all of these prices to be higher, so I'm hoping the insurance agent didn't screw up when she was working it all out. However, the rumour is that you really do get discounts for putting all your insurance through the one company.

So, the 3 cars mentioned are still in the running. However, I did run the numbers and create a couple of hundred spreadsheets to work out that I could afford the Beemer or S4, especially with their included maintenance packages, meaning I won't have any nasty surprises (apart from the obvious burning through tires at a rapid rate, and the compulsory in Denver winter wheel/tire set). So, if I was a betting man, unless someone is very generous at the Audi garage and throws me something substantial in terms of rebates or free options, I may be signing on the dotted line for the M3 next week. However, given the number of times I've changed my mind in the last little while, combined with the sleepless nights, it could all change in a flash (and definitely before I get the check in my hands).

Thing is, the main thing that seems to be occupying my thoughts about the car situation these days seems to be do I get the leather with alacantra option for the seats, or go for the full leather. Same price, just guessing the alacantra will hold me in place better when I'm going sideways around the bends.....