Tuesday, March 21, 2006

US military probes Iraq killings

Sometimes the big media guys worry me, so I always try and get my news from a few different places (and implicitly trust the BBC probably coz I grew up with that). Anyway, a case in point this week was me logging on yesterday morning to the top story on the BBC being about an investigation into the murder of 15 civilians in Iraq (7 women and 3 kids included) being done by US Military. Now obviously this is pretty big news, as it's claimed the Marines went on a rampage in a revenge attack for a roadside bomb, and killed some of the civilians inside their home. The deaths at the time were said to be from the initial roadside blast, which has now been confirmed as untrue.

Anyway, I expected CNN to have something similar on their site (and probably headline news), but it was nowhere to be found. It took some digging around in their search tool with a few different wording combinations before I found the article. Reading it makes for an interesting comparison though - the tone is definitely very different from the BBC version in terms of what could have happened, and the amount of background or external sources for the story. You can read it here if you want.

BBC NEWS | World | Middle East | US military probes Iraq killings