Monday, June 19, 2006

Lucky Birthday Boy

So I got home from Atlanta on Friday night, pretty tired, but happy to be home. The wife picked me up from the airport as she had the car all week, and we started to leave. There was some dance music on the radio, so I asked if she had found a new channel in Denver (this happened a couple of years ago, where there was a pretty good dance station showed up on a random channel for 6 months, before being replaced suddenly and without warning with a Mexican channel - that was a scary wake up call one morning). Heidi smiled knowingly, and so we carried on down the road. All of a sudden, the familiar voice of one Pete Tong came over the airwaves, announcing the big club nights for the weekend, and it all clicked. My wife had somehow found a way for me to get BBC Radio 1 out here in Denver, on my car stereo!!! I don't think I've been that happy on a Friday night in a long long time. I bopped the whole way home. Turns out Sirius now broadcasts Radio 1 on a few hour time delay (so the shows play at a similar time), and as my birthday present, the car had been dropped off at Car Toys for a day while I was out of town for a professional install. It's actually pretty sweet - I need to take some pictures, but basically, the head unit has been slotted into where the ashtray should be (no smoking in the new car of course), and surrounded with leather to match the rest of the interior. It looks great, and the added benefit is that now I can listen to Chris Moyles breakfast show on the way to work. Only thing I have to work out now is how to make my commute a little longer, as the 10 minutes I currently get to listen to it just isn't cutting it.

So, Birthday Pressie part 2 (I got the new England away top in time for the first game last weekend as well) was complete. Needless to say, I was speechless when I got home and found pressie number 3 waiting for me..... But I'm busy - you'll have to wait for the next update!