Thursday, July 13, 2006

MySpace hits the top

The march of MySpace continues onward at a relentless pace. It has now topped the monthly list of top visited website in the US, overtaking the normal winner, Yahoo.

I think I did once sign up for MySpace, but then never really did anything with it - I think I thought I was too old for it or something.

Which brings me to my point - I was reading an article in Wired last night while flying home, and they brought up an interesting question - given users sometimes rapidly disappear from a particular site (in particular the social sites, such as the Friendster craze dying down pretty quickly after everyone realized there was more/better alternatives out there), if MySpace becomes so popular that all of a sudden a new demographic starts to set up profiles and use it every day (think parents, teachers, random older and less cool people), will the current bulk of users (the younger, hipper, faster moving demographic) feel compelled to find somewhere new to strut their stuff?

Answers on a postcard to....

CNN.com - Report: MySpace top single U.S. Web site - Jul 12, 2006