Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Blogging for big bucks (not me)

One of the articles in this months Business 2.0 (one of the must read business mags if you ask me for my personal opinion, which you didn't, but you're reading this so you sort of did) comments on how people are making millions from moving out of their regular little job world (or startup, or life as surfer or something). Although I know a few people are actually pulling in the big bucks, and there's always the chance that if you right a speciality blog you might get picked up by one of the agencies or media companies, I'm sure the majority of people who put out a few words here and there make either absolutely nothing, or pretty damn close to it (this site has been up for over a year now, and I'm still not up to 4 figures in revenue (and by 4 figures, I mean 10.00 dollars), although I have heard rumours we do have more than 4 readers now if I incude my mother).

I think this actually might be a good thing - if everyone suddenly got loaded from what they were writing, their point of view/perspective on what they were writing about might be a little different to when they first started out. I'm sure if Microsoft or someone started feeding me with free software, Zunes and Media PC's or something, I might tone down my "I Love Apple" occasionally if they asked. I know some of the techie gadget blogs have faced a little criticism from some people for getting freebies and previews of products to put out the good word.

We might also get another 500 million pointless websites with people posting for posting sake, rather than saying anything in particular, and who really needs to trawl through all those sites to find something worthwhile to read. I've still yet to come across anyone who said "The Internet, yeah. I read it once, but once you've been through it all, you kinda get bored". If anyone knows of this person, let me know and I'll see if I can drag an interview out of him - bet he knows loads about everything, and maybe even found out who really killed JR, sorry, I mean Kennedy...

And me personally? If I suddenly pulled in a couple of million for writing occasional ramblings on a web-site, do you think I'd still have time to write anything (especially with the Ferrari calling my name from the driveway??). I think not ;-)

Business 2.0: Blogging for big bucks - Aug. 22, 2006