Thursday, August 10, 2006

Wee Bobby Thompson

Given that the world appears to be ending soon (or at least get a lot more difficult to make frequent trips back and forwards across the Atlantic with a relative feeling of safety), I've changed my planned post on the numerous reasons I'm grumpy this morning, to a growing up in Newcastle, there was only one real comedian post. His name was Bobby Thompson, and somehow he managed to bear a pretty decent resemblance to my Grandad. You can tell how long ago this was (and how old I'm getting) by the fact that I can only remember one or two TV appearances, and the main way we enjoyed the stories and jokes he told was through bootlegged tapes my Nana and Grandad had. To be honest, I think they might have only had one or two, but when you're young and impressionable, and you realize that tapes don't just have to contain awful karoake versions of songs your parents made you sing into a microphone, it's a life changing moment.

Anyway, rambling over. Here's a few quotes to keep you going.

The dole is my shepherd, I shall not work."
"I'll give y'u a bottle o' Brandy if you can tell us you pay the 'lectric bill before you get the red letter."
"A man come to oor door. I says come in, take a seat. He says 'I'm coming in to take the lot.'"
"Wu got off the train at Blackpool, the porter came up an' asked if 'e could carry me baggage. I said 'Na, let 'er walk'."
"Wu went into the restaurant an' asked for a coffee. The waiter asked if wu wanted black or white. She says 'I'll have black wi' milk in'."