Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Apple Anouncements - iPod Heaven


So loads of new announcements made today, most of them predicted. New iPod nano's, now in shiny colors and more memory, video iPods come down in price, and the largest gets an upgrade to 80GB. Also, new iTunes app, which is currently downloading on my computer, and a pre-announcement of the iTV (name to be changed at a later date), which streams movies etc from your computer to your TV and I imagine will signal the end of the Windows Media PC as we know it (and not many sorry people there I don't think). Also, movies are now on iTunes (limited to Disney owned companies so far) and NFL games, with a season pack option. Resolution on the iTunes purchases also jumps up a level, which is nice. More battery live across the iPod board as well from what I can tell.

However, the smallest, and probably thought of as the least exciting announcement, was the new iPod Shuffle, pictured above. As you can see, it's tiny, and it has a clip built into it, so you can just attach it to your clothes and you're away. 1GB of memory (or around 200 songs in the real world), and a price of only $79 - I mean, why wouldn't you buy one?

After the announcements, Apple's share price when down a little (after a recent run-up over the last week or so) so I guess the analysts weren't too happy with no huge surprises. Still, I personally think they're making a mistake - I can see in the runup to Christmas, people struggling for present ideas will just put down the $79 for a shuffle. I mean they're cute, kids will love them, and what's to stop the gadget freak buying a couple to put in his pocket??

Update - ok - apologies - the new Shuffle is 2GB of memory, not 1 as I stated earlier. Plus, just in case you don't believe how small this thing is, check out the pic of it in someone's hand...