Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Steve Irwin Dead - What Now for Australia

I was struggling to say anything relevant about the fact that the Crocodile Hunter (not Crocodile Dundee, darling) Steve Irwin passed away this weekend, doing what he seemed to love the most - following after deadly creatures who at any minute might turn on him and kill him. Unfortunately, his time was up, and a Stingray spiked him in the heart, and The Hunter was no longer. What seemed a little weird was the fact that Stingrays had only claimed a handful of lives (13 if I remember correctly) in the last 100 years, and here this one goes and gets one of the most famous animal people in the world.

Anyway, it's obviously going to put a huge dent in the nation known as Australia, having only a few people they can call famous, and now with one less. As so kindly pointed out by one of the guys here, there is Dame Edna for all those young Australian boys (and combined with Pricilla, Queen of the Desert, and Ballroom Dancing to watch, what more could they wish for). Kylie as well I guess, Rolf Harris, although I'm not sure he's still alive, Russel Crowe, although I'm not even sure he's Australian, is he? Isn't he a Kiwi, or am I getting all confused with our very own Iro? And then who? Nicole Kidman, but she's been over here for so many years (even longer than me!) that I'm sure she must be almost American at the very least. And theres that girl out of Without A Trace, Poppy Fields or some such, who I only found out was Australian when she appeared on Letterman with what I thought was her "fake" accent, which turned out to be her real one.

Hmm, really struggling now - I guess Mark Viduka, but being famous for eating all the pies isn't really a valid claim to fame (as I have found out on numerous occasions). And Kylie's sister, who's only famous for being Kylie's sister.

And that's it. Not many to go round the whole nation really. Will the country suffer? Or do they have a steady supply of new "heros" for the common man, hidden away for emergencies such as this? Guess we'll just have to wait and see...