Friday, May 04, 2007

Microsoft buying Yahoo?

That's the word on the street today, and has meant shares in Yahoo have gone up around 20% (making me a nice little additional 800 bucks in my retirement fund). I'm not sure if I think this is a good idea or not, but I'm kind of scared, as I've been gradually using more and more Yahoo stuff over the last couple of years (admitedly, more of the stuff they happened to buy, rather than the home grown variety). $50 billion is the rumoured price, meaning the stock still has another 10 or so percent nrothwards to move, if this does come off.

Oh yeah, and in related but much less exciting news, Yahoo finally seems to be willing to take action in getting rid of some of it's duplicate functionality, with Yahoo Photos disappearing in place of my fave photo site, Flickr.

Microsoft seen weighing Yahoo takeover -report - May. 4, 2007