Saturday, July 14, 2007

Just in case you didn't realize

The Beckhams arrived in the US yesterday. So much coverage, I think it even shocked the US paparazzi, but needless to say, he was all over TV, Radio and Web yesterday. One good thing though, it did allow me to find out that my neighbours (the cool ones, not the dodgy walk into your house uninvited with a made up story about having to move a car from their "driveway") have a good mate who works in the LA Galaxy marketing department, so there's still a chance I might get a ticket for a game.

I guess the big question will be whether or not he actually makes any difference to how "soccer" is perceived over here. I know Pele came over a few years ago (make that 30 or something now I guess - I really am getting old), but that didn't pan out once he packed up and left, but this time there's a decent shot given all the work that's gone on behind the scenes with the clubs and infrastructure etc etc. The pay for your average player in the league is still crap, which I guess will always be the case until more big bucks get pumped in by the sponsors and advertisers, but living over here, you realize how many kids actually play this sport, at least until they hit 11 or 12 and get swept off into the excitement of making billions playing NFL, basketball or baseball or something. Seeing that "soccer" can actually make you a huge star (and rich) might just be enough to tempt a few more players to not leave the sport when they have a few choices, and that might just be the tipping point.

Anyway, some of the links here if you're interested.

SI
BBC
ESPN
Sky
New York Times
The "real" Times
And it even made news over in Oz!

If that's not enough, you're a sadder man than me and you should learn to use Google....

Labels: ,