Tuesday, January 15, 2008

MacWorld unleashes Air to the world.....


So the Keynote finally happened, and the result was the thinnest notebook in the world. It's actually so thin I think I might be scared to snap it if I owned one, but given the case is all aluminium, it's probably a lot sturdier than it looks. So, highlights are all wireless, touchscreen, backlit keyboard, LED screen, the usual fast Intel processor and the option of a solid state hard drive (which is way too expensive for most people to tick, but no doubt it's already ticked on Mr Batty's order sheet). Videos and many more pics and details can be found here.

Also on the list today was the update to the iPhone software that had been leaked a few weeks ago, as well as a similar update for the iPod Touch (but will cost you an extra 20 bucks on the none phone version). Mail on the Touch now seems like a pretty cool idea if you ask me.

Two things that are probably most likely on my list (well one I get for free anyway) was an update to AppleTV, and the new Time Capsule

The Apple TV gets a few much needed updates to take away the need for a computer to run it, along with buying from the box itself (the new rentals and actual purchases) along with HD Movies (something I was waiting for before I did any more movie purchases from iTunes. They also brought the price down by 70 bucks, which is always nice.

Time Capsule looks the most likely to be on my purchase list - I was contemplating buying a 1TB drive to plug into the new desktop at home (and stop me from filling up the hard drive with all my movie backups), and upgrading your wireless networking performance is always a good thing. Time Capsule combines both - a wireless N base station, with a 500GB or 1TB hard drive stuffed in the bottom. This also allows wireless backup using Time Machine, which solves the laptop problem of keep having to plug in a hard drive every time you wanted to do a backup. I guess technically you could get a 1TB network storage drive, and then a wireless N router and plug them together and save a couple of bucks, but looking at the prices recently, I don't think you'll save that much, plus it'll never look that pretty.

So, that was pretty much it - I'm still hoping for one day version 3 of AppleTV which is actually a Mac Mini with a Blue Ray (or HD if that ended up winning the "war") disk, combined with Tivo on there - that would really make me happy. And why doesn't Steve do his "One More Thing" anymore - is that just occasionally? My heart always sinks when they roll in the singer....

Update - here's a video - turns out the gestures are on the trackpad, not the screen like I orginally thought, but they still look cool...

Labels: , , ,