Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Watch Post

I'm not sure if I've just been susceptible to watch posts lately, or if there's some new craze on the gadget sites I follow, but I ended up with a lot of watches in my list of stuff to post. So, I thought I'd get most of them done in one go, and then you can just ignore this post if you don't like watches. How nice is that? (I'm sure your disinterest in cars also makes it to watches Lauren, and given you're one of my key demographics, I like to make sure I keep you happy ;-)


So, where to begin. How about the first one. This special little thing is probably way to expensive to wear, but given it's all decked out on carbon fiber, at least you know it'll handle a spill or two. Unfortunately it's currently just a concept, but hey, concepts get turned into (very expensive) reality every day of the week.


Next up is an Aston Martin special, from a company so expensive that I've never heard of them - Tourbillon. I imagine people who wear these probably eat at those restaurants I posted about the other day. It has lots of very special features, none of which are worth describing. Sometimes the marketing spin goes too far, especially when a picture speaks a thousand words and all that.



Now how about combining a watch with your most hated operating system, so it can follow you round all day and blue screen every time you use it? Or maybe you'll get lucky. Actually, my BlackJack is rocking my world in a non breaking way until v2.0 of the iPhone comes along to make me happy, so I wouldn't complain if the phone was actually using an up to date version of Windows Mobile or something. But CE? I thought that was out of date in 2003 or something?



Now for Opus 8, combining mechanical and digital on your wrist. I probably like this one just coz it's got Red and Silver together, which for me is kinda like the secret passcode to my (almost always) empty wallet. But, I actually read up on this, and it's a Harry Winston project, so add this to the way too expensive list no doubt.


And finally, coz this post is way too long already, the latest "concept" from Tag, which will no doubt make it into the shops sometime in the near(ish) future. For years I didn't really like Tag watches - they got kinda common at our high school (well, the fake ones did anyway, or the nicked ones - there wasn't many (any) people could afford these in our high school). I didn't even give them the once over when I was looking for a decent watch 8 or 9 years ago - just walked straight over to the Breitling counter in Heathrow. Anyway, they've started to look better in the last few years - the Carrera series always seems pretty good looking, and I'm kinda taken by this one. We'll have to see if it makes it to the shops though (and how much it costs when it finally gets there).

Labels: