Thursday, September 03, 2009

Brothers Hit the Big Leagues

Now that blogger has decided to start letting me upload pics again, I can catch up a little.

So this past weekend the brothers back in England did their bit for charity by playing footy in a tournament in aid of Bobby Robson's cancer charity (pretty certain that was the cause, but you can correct me in the comments if I got it wrong). One of the perks of signing up teams was that each one was allocated a former Newcastle player as "coach" for the tournament.

Daniel and Matthew kinda lucked out I'm guessing, and got Stevie Watson. He's a local lad who was (and still holds the record by the way) the youngest player to ever play for Newcastle's first team, when he was still only 16. He played for us a lot in the 90's, when I was in the "go to as many games as I could" phase of my life (all home of course, and plenty of away games too), so I was a big fan. He had a pretty incredible touch, and enough skill that he ended up playing pretty much every position at one point or another in his career. Ruud Gullit made plenty of mistakes in his time as manager of Newcastle, and one of them was selling Steve to Villa. I'm pretty jealous I wasn't back home this weekend....

Labels: , ,